Khumalo Welcomes Withdrawal of Charges, Vows to Resume Serving South Africans

Posted on August 21, 2026
by Yashmika Dukaran


Crime Intelligence head Lieutenant-General Dumisani Khumalo says he is ready to return to his duties after fraud and corruption charges against him and six co-accused were formally withdrawn by the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA).

Khumalo and the other accused appeared at the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court, where prosecutors formally withdrew the charges relating to the appointment of Brigadier Dineo Mokwele.

The group was arrested in June last year and faced allegations linked to the purportedly irregular appointment of Mokwele.

Speaking to the media after Friday’s court proceedings, Khumalo welcomed the withdrawal of the charges and said he was looking forward to continuing his work.

“It’s something that one can call it was good for the country because that is what impacted on everything that is currently happening in the country and we feel that it’s very good for the whole country,” Khumalo said.

He said he and his colleagues remained committed to serving the public.

“We are going to continue working and serving the people of South Africa, the way we have been doing all these years,” he said.

The NPA’s decision to withdraw the charges follows concerns raised during proceedings before the Madlanga Commission about the handling of the original investigation.

The commission heard evidence pointing to shortcomings in the investigation into the appointment, while the NPA has since initiated disciplinary processes against three suspended Investigating Directorate Against Corruption officials implicated in the matter.