Talks Underway to Ease Tensions Between Taxi and E-Hailing Operators in KwaZulu-Natal

Posted on February 17, 2026
by Yashmika Dukaran


The KwaZulu-Natal Department of Transport is optimistic that renewed discussions between taxi associations and e-hailing operators will help defuse rising tensions and restore calm to parts of the province.

A meeting scheduled for Tuesday brings together representatives from the KZN E-Hailing Council, eThekwini Metropolitan Police Department and the Phoenix Local Taxi Association in an effort to find common ground.

The talks follow an incident over the weekend in Phoenix, north of Durban, where an e-hailing driver was allegedly assaulted and extorted. The driver’s vehicle was reportedly seized and taken to a taxi association office, with R5,000 allegedly demanded for its release.

Transport officials confirmed the vehicle was later returned after intervention by the South African Police Service.

Department spokesperson Ndabezinhle Sibiya said authorities have agreed to allow police to continue investigating the assault and extortion claims, while broader engagements focus on stabilising relations within the public transport sector.

He added that the MEC and provincial police commissioner, Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi, have previously held several meetings with the South African National Taxi Council to strengthen cooperation and promote safety across the system.

Sibiya noted that the department has received a growing number of complaints of harassment from e-hailing drivers and residents in Phoenix and surrounding areas, including Chatsworth, Overport, Chesterville, KwaMashu, KwaDabeka and Inanda.

He said the department is actively addressing these concerns and remains confident that dialogue will lead to a peaceful and lasting solution.