Kolisi and Nche Doubtful for Springboks’ First Test Against All Blacks

Posted on August 18, 2026
by Yashmika Dukaran


Springboks captain Siya Kolisi and prop Ox Nche are both doubtful for South Africa’s opening Test against New Zealand in Johannesburg on Saturday.

The top-ranked Springboks will face the second-ranked All Blacks in the first of a four-Test series between the two rugby giants.

Head coach Rassie Erasmus confirmed on Monday that Kolisi and Nche are the only injury concerns in the squad.

“Regarding injuries, there are probably only two doubtful players, Kolisi and Nche,” Erasmus said.

Nche has been sidelined since suffering a knee injury during South Africa’s Nations Championship victory over England in Johannesburg in July.

Kolisi, meanwhile, made his first Test appearance of the season against Argentina earlier this month but lasted just 25 minutes before being forced off with a hamstring injury.

If the pair are ruled out, Paul de Villiers could replace Kolisi, while Gerhard Steenekamp is likely to come into the starting line-up for Nche.

Erasmus confirmed that there are no other injury concerns ahead of the highly anticipated clash.

The Springboks coach traditionally announces his matchday squad on Mondays, but he has opted to delay the announcement until Thursday this week. This will coincide with the day New Zealand coach Dave Rennie is expected to name his starting XV.

Erasmus said the decision was partly aimed at giving New Zealand less time to prepare for South Africa’s selection.

The coach also rejected suggestions that the Springboks would deliberately slow the game down to disrupt New Zealand’s high-tempo style of play.

South Africa have focused on developing a balance between the physical, grinding style that has helped them succeed at World Cups and a more attacking approach.

Erasmus pointed to the Springboks’ recent matches against New Zealand in Auckland and Wellington as evidence that his side is capable of playing at pace.

He credited attack coach Tony Brown with helping the team develop a more expansive attacking game while retaining a system they can rely on during crucial moments.

All Blacks Hit by Further Injury Blow

New Zealand have also suffered an injury setback ahead of the opening Test, with prop Ollie Norris ruled out after suffering a knee cartilage injury.

Norris has returned home and has been replaced in the squad by Saula Ma’u.

Scrum-half Noah Hotham has also been added to the touring squad as cover for Cortez Ratima, who is managing a knee injury.

Norris is the fourth All Black to have his South African tour ended prematurely by injury, following hooker George Bell, centre Billy Proctor and wing Caleb Clarke.

Ethan de Groot and Tyrel Lomax started at loosehead and tighthead prop respectively when New Zealand last played a Test, beating Ireland on July 18.

Ratima featured in two of New Zealand’s three warm-up victories over South African franchises, including wins against the Stormers, Sharks and Bulls.

Meanwhile, first-choice scrum-half Cameron Roigard missed all three matches due to injury, but Rennie remains confident that he will be fit to face the Springboks in Johannesburg.

The two sides have won seven of the 10 Rugby World Cups between them, adding further significance to Saturday’s opening encounter.