Striking PIKITUP casual workers have called off their protest action at waste depots in Johannesburg following an agreement reached with the waste management company and the City of Johannesburg.
PIKITUP announced on Thursday that waste collection services had been restored at all 12 of its depots after the industrial action disrupted refuse collection across parts of the city.
Areas including Randburg, Marlboro and Avalon were among those affected by the protest.
The casual workers had been calling for permanent employment, among other demands.
Following a meeting between worker representatives, PIKITUP and the City of Johannesburg, an agreement was reached to end the protest action.
PIKITUP casual worker representative Themba Magoda said the parties had agreed that workers would not continue protesting at the company’s depots.
“The feedback from yesterday’s meeting between casual workers, PIKITUP and COJ is that we have reached an agreement with PIKITUP,” Magoda said.
He said PIKITUP had also committed to continuing with its recruitment process.
“We agreed that there won’t be any protests happening in PIKITUP depots with casual workers and PIKITUP agreed they will carry on with the recruitments,” Magoda said.
The agreement is expected to allow waste collection services to continue without further disruptions while the recruitment process moves forward.